Friday, June 21, 2013

Two weeks down

I've made it through two weeks of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.  It hasn't been easy -- what I wouldn't give for a bag of chips right now -- but I think it's been helpful.

It's not all positive.  Another internal melt-down today, after several days of fairly normal activity.  It could have been due to one of the new foods I've added, or to some sort of bacteria making its way into something that was in the fridge too long, or to sunspot activity.  Who knows?

But still, it's mostly positive.

The latest vegetables are zucchini, summer squash, and spinach, and the latest fruit is apple (in the form of applesauce).  The latest meat is ground turkey, made into sausage-patty size portions for breakfast.  The guys at scdlifestyle.com have a recipe for this "turkey sausage" which calls for 4 lbs. of ground turkey and just a few pinches of spices; I halved the meat amount and doubled (at least) the spice amount, and it was still way too bland, the next time I make it I'll double the spice amount again.  Upcoming vegetable additions will be green beans and asparagus; while several fruits are allowed in phase II of the scdlifestyle.com plan, I'm probably going to hold off on adding too much in the way of fruit, because I think the sugar -- even though it's simple -- might be a problem.  I'll be adding cod to the fish list, and probably turkey (not ground) to the meat list.

One slightly surprising outcome is that I've lost some weight: I'm almost back down to the 32" waist that I had 25 years ago.  I don't think I've lost so much that it's something I need to be concerned about, but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Generally speaking, I think I still have the same amount of energy that I had before.  I'm often feeling snoozy in the afternoon, but that's nothing new, and I think it's actually worse here in Tucson than it was in the Bay Area just because of the weather: who wants to do anything when it's 105 degrees out?

So I'm going to continue on this path for the time being.  Someone mentioned that it takes 4-6 weeks for the body to adjust to a carnivorous diet after a long time as a vegetarian, but I don't know if that's an opinion, or something based on a study, or just some random numbers they thought sounded good.  I will almost definitely give this at least a month.  Hopefully all the internal stuff will continue to improve.


No comments:

Post a Comment