Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Two steps forward

After no gut activity yesterday, I got up this morning, had breakfast, and actually went to the bathroom and everything came out normal.  No big deal for most people, but for me, it's been almost two years since that's happened without the aid of Immodium (which I stopped taking a couple of days ago), so it felt pretty good.

Then my gut blew up again later in the morning (though, fortunately, it was a small explosion).  Maybe it was eating breakfast, which I haven't been doing for the past year and a half, and only started again on SCD day 2.  Maybe it was because I drank many glasses of water this morning after swinging a sledge hammer at a block wall post for half an hour; while drinking water doesn't sound like it should be a problem, with my gut, I wouldn't be surprised.  Maybe the chicken soup snack I had last night was too late, I should have had it 5 minutes earlier.  Maybe a couple of planets are misaligned.

In any case, I felt off for the rest of the day.  But I'm trying to look at it as two steps forward and one step back, instead of the other way around.

The good news is that I made today day 1 of Phase 1, instead of day 4 of the Intro Phase.  Despite this morning's setback, I decided to add one new food: butternut squash.  It's pureed, like the carrots I've been eating, but it's still pretty tasty (fortunately, salt and pepper are allowed!).  I also started adding new meats:  I went to the market today and bought some pork chops, NY steaks, and salmon along with some more chicken.  Tonight's pork chop was quite good.  I'm still not happy about eating meat, but I'm glad I don't mind the taste or texture.

How much time you need to spend in each of the five phases is variable.  The scdlifestyle.com guys recommend a four-day trial period for each new food, but that seems pretty extreme to me, it would take at least a few weeks to add the few additional foods allowed in phase 1 (mostly different kinds of squashes).  I'm hoping to step it up just a bit and spend no more than a couple of weeks in phase 1.  Phase 2 will almost definitely take longer, as there are quite a few new foods allowed.  But I'm playing it by ear, since I'm not really sure what to expect.

So... hopefully there'll be a couple more steps forward in the next few days, even if I end up taking a step back as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment