Friday, June 7, 2013

SCD, Day Zero

So, all of what I've written so far is how I got to where I am today: giving up vegetarianism, at least temporarily, to see if I can get my gut to some version of "normal."

Today was the prep day for the intro phase of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.  I cooked chicken soup, hamburger patties and meatballs, pureed carrots, and hard-boiled eggs.  It was not terribly pleasant for someone who hasn't cooked meat in over twenty years.  But I got through it, and I'm sure I'll get through eating it all as well.  I'm hoping that this will yield positive results, or at least some useful data.  At least the onions and celery and parsley in the chicken soup smelled good (not so much with the ground beef).

Given my history, I'm planning on going through the phases of the diet fairly slowly, but hopefully not at a glacial pace.  The guys at scdlifestyle.com have put together a program that has an intro period of 3-5 days, then five phases.  If you're super conservative and only introduce one new food item at a time, you could probably take a year to get to phase 5; I'm hoping to spend no more than two or three weeks on each phase, but I'll be playing it by ear to see how things go.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment