Sunday, June 2, 2013

The End of an Era

NEWS FLASH: I had a chicken burrito for dinner tonight.

Now, for most people, that's a pretty boring news flash.  But for someone who's been a vegetarian for 23 years or so, it's a fairly important story.

Going back to an omnivorous diet -- and, initially, primarily a carnivorous diet -- after being an herbivore for so long was not an easy decision to make.  In fact, I've put it off for many months, hoping I wouldn't have to make it.  But at this point, I feel like I have no choice.  I'm not happy about it, but if my health improves, I'll consider it worth it.  Even if my health doesn't improve, I'll know that I tried, which is worth something.

I'll be going into more details about my vegetarianism, and my reasons for abandoning it, in the days and weeks ahead.  The short story is that my gut has been wonky since I had my appendix out almost two years ago, and I'll be starting the Specific Carbohydrate Diet in a week in an attempt to correct what I believe to be the underlying problem.  I tried this diet a few months ago as a vegetarian; it was virtually impossible to do it "correctly," and the attempt failed to change anything, so this time I'm trying it in earnest, which includes eating meat.  Time will tell if doing it "correctly" will have a more desirable outcome.

I can certainly use all the support I can get while I make this transition!

1 comment:

  1. What did you eat in your vegetarian-SCD attempt?

    ReplyDelete