Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Slow But Steady

I haven't posted lately because there's not really much to write about.  I believe that my gut function is continuing to improve, although at this point it seems to be improving very slowly.  I'd love some more rapid improvement to "normal," but I'll take gradual improvement over no improvement, no question.

Whereas before I felt like I was on quite a roller coaster, I now feel like I'm on more of a kiddie roller coaster: there are still some good days and some bad days, but the bad days aren't all that bad.

The main point of the SCD is to remove complex carbohydrates from the diet and only allow monosaccharides.  But I think even monosaccharides (e.g., glucose and fructose) have an effect on me.  So while I'm going to continue to eat fruit, I'm going to cut back a bit.  Cutting back on the amount of juice I'm drinking seems to have had a slightly positive impact.

I've found some good recipes on the internet that have added a little interest to the meat I've been eating.  I figure if I'm going to eat meat, I might as well try to make it as tasty as possible.  A little butter-lemon sauce with minced onions adds a lot of flavor to baked chicken or fish!

I've got a fairly decent rotation of vegetables that seem to sit well with me, so I feel like I'm eating a healthy diet.  I do miss my chips and hummus, and desserts, but I've been remarkably good about staying on track.  Hopefully I can keep it up in a couple of weeks when I'll be traveling for five days.

Speaking of desserts, I tried a carrot cake recipe in Elaine's book.  While it was tasty, it wasn't really a cake.  :)  It was more like a vaguely loaf-shaped pudding.  I'm trying to find a decent cake for my upcoming birthday, if anyone has any SCD cake recipes that they like, I'm all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment