Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pancakes!

After a month and a half, I've gotten to the point where I've eaten all of the basics several times, and it's getting a bit boring.  So I bought a cookbook a couple of weeks ago:



I thought I'd give one of the breakfast recipes a try today, so I made Vanilla-Hazelnut Pancakes.

Now, I'm not the world's biggest pancake fan.  I'm sure there are people out there who could eat pancakes every day and not get tired of them, but I'm not one of them -- sometimes I get tired of eating pancakes before I'm done with one plate!  But for a change of pace, I do like a few flapjacks every once in a while, and it's probably been a year or two since I've had any (mostly because I didn't eat breakfast for a year or a year and a half), so I thought I'd give this recipe a try.

I was very pleasantly surprised.  I recently baked a carrot "cake" from Elaine's book, and while it was tasty, it wasn't really a cake, it was more like a loaf-shaped pudding.  So I was apprehensive that these pancakes were going to be gritty, or rubbery, or hockey puckish, or something other than good ol' fashioned griddle cakes.  But they were relatively light and fluffy, and had good flavor.  They may have been sub-par to a pancake aficionado, but they worked just fine for me.

The main ingredients are almond flour and eggs, with filberts and vanilla added for flavor (the recipe specifies hazelnuts, but filbert is just so much more fun to say).  The batter seemed a bit thin, so I added a little more almond flour than the recipe called for; I might try it as written next time, just to see if the extra flour is really necessary.

Of course, maple syrup is the standard topping for pancakes, but it's not allowed on the SCD.  The recipe includes a recipe for Vanilla-Infused Honey Syrup, but I opted for some fresh blueberries instead.  A little drier than traditional pancakes, but still tasty.

All in all, a positive first try from this cookbook!  I look forward to trying some of the other recipes soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment