Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What I Miss - And What I Don't

Sorry I haven't been posting.  I've been quite busy with house projects and other activities.

A brief update: I'm still doing quite well, though my symptoms have come back to a small degree.  I believe this was due to the introduction of peanut butter and nuts, but it's difficult to say for sure; I discontinued the use of both last week, and I'm giving my body a week or two to re-adjust.  Some SCDers have reported developing sensitivities to foods while on the diet, most notably dairy products.  I hope that's not the case with me, as I really think the homemade SCD yogurt has helped a lot, but if it is, I'll deal with it; when my current batch of yogurt is gone, I'm going to take a break from making yogurt for a week or two and see how my body responds.

I still believe that I'm better off than I was before starting the SCD, and I hope to continue improving.

A couple of weeks ago, Jenny and I went to see a movie.  We enjoyed the movie, but the movie theater experience isn't quite what it used to be for me.  I almost always had some popcorn at the theater, and usually some candy too: M&Ms were a favorite of mine, as were Reese's Pieces.  Looking at the options in the concession case, I realized that there is nothing that I can eat in movie theaters any more.  Popcorn is a complex carbohydrate, and as far as I know all of the candy that's available is sucrose-based.  When we went to a movie a couple of months ago I took some dates with me, and it was nice to be able to have a snack in the theater; but it's just not quite the same.

So that got me thinking about things I miss, now that I'm on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.  Here are a few:

  • Chips and hummus.  For some who know me well, this goes without saying, as I used to have some chips and hummus once or twice a day before the SCD.  Usually Mission brand corn chips, and just about any brand and flavor of hummus.
  • Chips and salsa.  Who can resist Chevy's salsa?
  • Subway Veggie Delite sandwiches.
  • Dark chocolate.  Surprisingly, I don't think of this one very often; I thought every evening would be torture, since I used to have chocolate while watching TV on most evenings.  Still, every once in a while, I do crave it.
  • Being able to go out to eat whenever I want.  It's not so much that I love restaurant food, it's just the ability to decide at the last minute that it would be nice to go out.
And thinking about things that I miss got me thinking about things that I don't miss:
  • Pretty serious morning attacks of diarrhea.
  • Not being able to eat breakfast, lest the morning attack continue all the way until lunch or later.
  • Occasional worrying about whether or not I remembered my morning or evening dose of Loperamide.
I'm sure there are other things that fit into both categories, but those are what have been on my mind lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment