Sunday, August 18, 2013

Taking stock

I've been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for almost two and a half months now.  I thought I'd take stock of how things are going, and what I've learned.

For the past 12 days, I've been almost symptom-free.  Only two very brief episodes leaning towards diarrhea, but not quite there.  A friend recently asked how much better I thought I was, and I replied, "Right now, this minute, I'd say 95%."  I think this is huge.  Unfortunately, I realize that it's unlikely that this will continue indefinitely: 3-month and 6-month "flares" are common in people who commit to the SCD, and even people who do not suffer from IBS or other gut dysfunctions have occasional bouts of diarrhea and constipation.  But for now, I'm very happy with how things are going, and I will definitely continue with the diet for the foreseeable future, adding things in slowly so that I can try to keep track of what doesn't work for me.

I have far less gas than I used to.  I remember listening to Dr. Dean Edell in the car one afternoon, and he threw out the statistic that the average person passes gas 17 times a day.  I think I laughed out loud, thinking to myself that if I went an HOUR without passing gas 17 times it would be a record!

I'm now eating breakfast every day, something I couldn't do without triggering an episode of diarrhea for almost 2 years.  I believe that my diet is quite healthy, with fairly lean protein and generous portions of one or two vegetables at every meal.  I eat virtually no processed foods, and only have small afternoon and evening fruit snacks (I look forward to being able to eat more fruit, but high-sugar foods like fruit seem to still be somewhat problematic, so I'm keeping the quantity small for now).  I just bought some shorts with a 30-inch waist, something I haven't done in probably 30 years or more, and although losing weight wasn't my goal when I started this diet, I can't say losing those 15 or 20 pounds is a bad thing, I've been wondering how to get rid of 5 or 10 for many years.

The Specific Carbohydrate Diet has also apparently affected my body in another, non-gut-related way: for years I've had very, very mild eczema all over my back (not a big problem, it simply made my back itchy from time to time) and an acne-like rash (or rash-like acne, either way probably just another form of eczema) in a small area on my torso from my sternum to my belly button.  Both are now much less prominent, and I haven't made any changes other than my diet.  I've read that for people with compromised gut function, healing the gut can cause many non-gut-related changes in the body, and that seems to be the case here.

I've learned that many things I thought I knew about my body were either incorrect or at least questionable.  Years ago, I often had difficulty in the morning before school, either having diarrhea or feeling like it was coming.  I hypothesized it was because of a milk allergy, or lactose intolerance, or the fat content of the bacon I'd eaten; now I'm virtually certain that there was an element of lactose-intolerance, but it wasn't because the lactose was lactose, it was because the lactose was a complex carbohydrate of any kind -- and I have to wonder if the high sugar content of the daily glass of orange juice I drank didn't play a part as well.  If anyone had told me back then that I'd be eating a half-gallon of homemade yogurt a week, not knowing that you could incubate your own yogurt in such a way that the lactose is all eaten up by bacteria, I would have laughed out loud.

One of the most important lessons I've learned on this journey is that Every Body Is Different.  Many of the generous and knowledgeable folks on the BTVC-SCD Yahoo group that I joined a few weeks ago have said many times that SCD must be individualized for anyone who attempts it.  It's not just a matter of what's legal and what's not.  It's a matter of understanding why things are legal or illegal, and then including only those things on the legal list that don't cause symptoms.  Some people can eat only small amounts of fruit; some people can eat all the fruit they like.  Some people can eat a whole jar of peanut butter but can't tolerate tree nuts at all; others are just the opposite.  For me, so far, it seems that I can tolerate cruciferous vegetables (for which I'm thankful, since broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables); others are never able to.

My thoughts about diet in general have changed fairly dramatically.  As a vegetarian for over 20 years, I can't tell you how many times I heard the "evolution" argument against vegetarianism: humans evolved as meat-eaters, so excluding meat from the human diet is a mistake.  My (usually non-verbalized) response to that argument was that looking at the evolution of man over those many eons way back when fails to take into account many changes that are very, very recent, e.g., instead of working by hunting and gathering and carrying water from a river a mile away, we now work by sitting in a cubicle staring at a monitor.  But what I've come to believe is that, in essence, man's intellectual evolution has far out-stripped his physical evolution, and the physical attributes of the species are still virtually unchanged from thousands of years ago.  So the diet from thousands of years ago, though it should be modified somewhat due to different activity levels and different activities, is, by and large, still reasonable.  One thing I'm going to attempt to learn more about in the near future is when cultivation of grains became so prevalent.

I now think that living for so long on a vegetarian diet did not serve me nearly as well as I thought it was.  For years, I believe I was slowly damaging my body internally by relying heavily on grains and legumes and other complex carbohydrates that my body was not able to process well.  That led to inflammation, and I'm sure I wasn't getting nearly the nutrition that I thought I was.  This doesn't mean that a vegetarian diet can't work for someone, since Every Body Is Different.  I just don't think it was working for me, even though I thought it was.  I'm still not happy about eating meat in terms of being responsible or partially responsible for the death of another creature so that I can eat.  And if it was just a matter of longevity -- if someone could say to me with certainty, "You'll live 4 years longer if you eat meat, but otherwise your life will be the same" -- I would probably switch back to a vegetarian diet.  But it's not about longevity in my case, it's about quality of life.  And quality of life goes up, way up, in the absence of IBS symptoms.

So, the journey continues.  I have no doubt that it will not be a straight path to being completely healed.  But I think I'll be able to handle the twists and turns ahead.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for all these posts. Very enlightening and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, David! And thank you for letting me know that you're finding my blog helpful, I'm very happy to hear that.

    Cheers,
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the success you're having with the SCD! I have IBS-C so wonder if it would be as effective for me! Is it at all difficult for you to digest meat after being vegetarian for so long?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Elle! My understanding is that the SCD works very well for IBS-C as well, because D and C are simply two ends of the same spectrum, and both simply indicate that something is out of whack in the system. When you eliminate the bad bacteria and repopulate with the good bacteria, balance is restored and healing takes place, so either symptom becomes less likely.

    I was a bit apprehensive about how my gut would react to meat -- and a lot of it at that! -- which is why I started eating meat almost a week before starting on the SCD. I wanted to make sure that if I had a bad reaction, I could postpone the intro phase of the diet, rather than just have to scrap the whole thing after starting the intro. But luckily I didn't seem to have any problems with the meat, and I still don't. As far as I can tell, my system just picked up where it left off digesting meat twenty-some-odd years ago!

    If you decide to give the SCD a try, let me know how it goes! And definitely check out the BTVC-SCD Yahoo group, tons of great information there.

    Cheers,
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your reply Rich. I am seriously considering trying the SCD. I currently eat mostly meat, vegies and a little fruit but also rice & potatoes. Did you do an Introductory SCD diet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elle,

    The SCD actually has an "intro diet" built in. It lasts for 2-5 days, depending on your symptoms, and consists of chicken soup (which only has chicken and pureed carrots, it's a very orange soup!), pureed carrots, ground beef patties, eggs, grape juice, and gelatin (I skipped the gelatin because I think it's gross, but I've read recently that it can be beneficial to healing the gut; I'm going to read more on that soon).

    That's the intro diet as laid out by the guys at scdlifestyle.com; I believe it's based on the intro diet that Elaine spells out in "Breaking the Vicious Cycle," and it may be identical, I haven't gone back to cross-check.

    After the intro, you add new foods in very slowly. The scdlifestyle guys recommend a three- or four-day intro period for any new food, where that's the ONLY new thing you're eating. When I started, I thought this was extreme, so I usually just did two days. But I think that was actually a mistake, as a few weeks later I couldn't really tell what was causing my gradual slide backward. At this point, I have a decent selection of vegetables in my rotation, so I'm very cautious when I add new things, and give them at least four days.

    I really hope the diet helps you as much as it has helped me! I really think that a lot of my success has been due to the homemade yogurt. I waited two months to add that, and I think I would have been better off adding it sooner. If you think you'll be able to tolerate it (many have to wait much longer to introduce the yogurt, due to either a really damaged gut or issues with dairy products), I'd definitely recommend adding it after three or four weeks instead of later. Most importantly, listen to your body!

    Cheers,
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there. Just started the scd diet 11 days ago. I found your blog through a comment on the yahoo group. I find it very interesting as I read your post thy our symptoms have been quite similar. Minus the vegetarian aspect but including the appendectomy. My symptoms have been much worse since I have my surgery and tht was about 6 years ago.
    I am so grateful to have Been led to the diet and book via a friend. I have has much success this far and it has given me much hope.
    Slow and steady wins the race. I have just added in the yogurt. Although I am allergic to dairy so is made mine with goat milk. I had 1/2 c the first time and that was too much based on the reaction I had. So I will cut back the amount and only have it once per day for a while.
    Thanks for the blog. It's awesome!
    Marcee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcee,

      Welcome! I'm sorry you have problems with your GI tract, but I'm always glad to hear from someone who started having problems after an appendectomy. My gastroenterologist and my surgeon both looked at me like I had a third eye or was missing a nose when I told them that my symptoms increased tenfold after the appendectomy.

      I don't know what changed, and probably never will. I'm just glad that the SCD seems to be fixing things! Slow and steady indeed: I fully expect I'll have more setbacks. But at this point it's not hard to stay committed, considering how much improvement I've seen.

      Cheers,
      Rich

      Delete
    2. I agree fully. I was unfortunate enough after my surgery to contract a very bad c diff infection....it was awful and Im convinced that it has had lasting effects. I had to have another surgery last year and got the infection again...its awful and I hope I never have to deal with that again. I am getting ready to get some tests done with my GI dr and will eventually have to have an endoscopy...to rule out all the things that only that kind of test can discover...I fear that the prep work for that test will set me back very much...so i have soup in the deep freeze on the ready.
      But like you, I have noticed such an improvement that I pray that I will keep moving forward.

      Delete